Constitution and Bylaws
PREAMBLE We the undersigned, wishing to secure for ourselves the pleasures and benefits of an association of persons commonly interested in amateur radio, constitute ourselves THE SOUTH EAST CONTEST CLUB and enact this constitution as our governing law. It shall be our purpose to further the exchange of information and cooperation between members, to promote contesting knowledge, fraternalism and individual/team operating efficiency, and to conduct club programs and activities to advance the general interest and welfare of amateur radio contesting in the community.
MEMBERSHIP: Article I
All persons interested in amateur radio contesting shall be eligible for membership. Membership shall be by application upon such terms as the club shall provide in its By-Laws.
OFFICERS: Article II
Sec 1. The officers of this club shall be President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Sec 2. The officers shall be elected for a term of one year by ballot of the members conducted by the President at a scheduled meeting or by some form of mail. This election will be in August of each calendar year.
Sec 3. Vacancies occurring between elections shall be filled by special elections as soon as possible following the withdrawal or resignation of any officer. The remaining officers shall conduct the special election. Voting shall be by any form of communication, including e-mail. Election to the vacant office shall be by a majority of the members voting.
Sec 4. Officers may be removed by a three-fourths vote of the membership.
DUTIES OF OFFICERS: Article III
Sec 1. The President shall preside at all meetings and conduct them according to the rules adopted. The President shall enforce due observance of this Constitution; decide all questions of order, sign all official documents adopted by the club, and perform all other duties pertaining to the office.
Sec 2. The Vice president shall assume the duties of President in this person’s absence. The VP will do other such duties as determined by the President.
Sec 3. The Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of all meetings, keep a roll of members, submit membership applications, read communications at each meeting, and submit member’s names and calls for club competition. This person will also be required to maintain club affiliation with ARRL and conduct all correspondence, concerning the club.
Sec 4. The Treasurer shall perform such duties as assigned by the President or Vice President of the club.
MEETINGS: Article IV
The By-Laws shall provide for regular and special meetings, a majority of the members present at such meetings shall constitute a quorum for any and all transactions of business. In addition, regular and special meetings may be called by the President of the SECC at his discretion, or when requested by any member in good standing. A simple majority of those members voting for a special meeting by a member shall be sufficient for any Officer of the Club to direct that such a meeting be held. Voting on any proposal may be by any form of communications.
MEMBERSHIP ASSISTANCE: Article V
The club will provide technical advice and assistance to members concerning station construction, improvements, and operating practices.
AMENDMENTS: Article VI
This Constitution or By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the total members who submit votes. Proposals for the amendments may be submitted in writing at a regular meeting, or via a posting on the SECC reflector. Such a posting must include a statement that the posting is intended to amend the Constitution and/or By-Laws by email or any other form of communication. If an amendment is submitted via a posting on the SECC reflector, an officer of the club shall announce the results of those members voting within 7 days following the date of the reflector posting.
AMENDMENTS: Article VII
In order to provide for the maximum participation by members of the South East Contest Club, any Officer or full member of the Club shall be permitted to request that the geographical co-ordinates representing the center of the ARRL 175 mile circle be temporarily moved to a different location. Approval of such a move shall be by a majority of the membership voting by any means of communication to the Vice President of the Club. Nothing in this Article VII shall be construed as a constraint against such a move being designated as permanent. A temporary move shall exist for a period of 6 days, and must include ARRL, CQ, NCJ or other approved contests dates in their entirety.
1. President: It shall be the duty of the President to keep the Constitution and By-Laws of the Club and provide them to any member upon request. The President will oversee all amendments, changes, and additions to the Constitution and By-Laws. If the President of the SECC does not post a proposed amendment with 2 days of such approval of the proposed amendment by the general membership, the Vice President shall assume the duty of posting the amendment.
2. Membership: Full membership is open to licensed amateurs. Associate membership is open to all other interested persons. Full membership includes all club privileges as well as rights to hold club office and to vote for club officers. Associate membership includes all club privileges except for the right to hold office and vote for club officers. Applications for membership may be submitted at anytime.
3. Meetings: Meetings shall be held on dates determined by the President. The meetings may not be conducted during an ARRL, CQ, NCJ or Sprint contest weekend. A poll must be taken from the membership, by the President as to the date, time and place before scheduling a meeting, in order to provide the best meeting date, etc. Special meetings may be called by any Officer of the SECC upon the request of any club member, if such member is supported by a minimum of 4 other members. Notification will be sent to members concerning special meetings to arrive at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting and the business to be transacted.
4. Dues: No regular monthly dues will be assessed. The President will make the membership aware of any expenses incurred by the club and will solicit donations for said expenses. Any donations made by members are voluntary and non-refundable.
5. Contest Participation: In order to remain as members in good standing, members must submit two contest scores per calendar year to the appropriate sponsor with the South East Contest Club designated as the official Club. Scores may be submitted in any ARRL, CQ Magazine, or National Contest Journal sponsored contests. Members may ask for this requirement to be waived due to various circumstances. Club members shall vote to continue membership status in such cases.
Last revision: October 29, 2004