PREAMBLE We the undersigned, wishing to secure for ourselves the pleasures and benefits of an association of persons commonly interested in amateur radio, constitute ourselves THE SOUTH EAST CONTEST CLUB and enact this constitution as our governing law. It shall be our purpose to further the exchange of information and cooperation between members, to promote contesting knowledge, fraternalism and individual/team operating efficiency, and to conduct club programs and activities to advance the general interest and welfare of amateur radio contesting in the community.
MEMBERSHIP: Article I
All persons interested in amateur radio contesting and located inside the South East Contest Club circle of 250 miles shall be eligible for membership. Membership shall be by application upon such terms as the club shall provide in its By-Laws. Those that don’t reside inside the club circle are welcomed to follow the South East Contest Club via our mailing list.
OFFICERS: Article II
Sec 1. The officers of this club shall be President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Sec 2. The officers shall be elected for a term of one year by ballot of the members conducted by the President via email. This election will be in January of each calendar year.
Sec 3. Vacancies occurring between elections shall be filled by special elections as soon as possible following the withdrawal or resignation of any officer. The remaining officers shall conduct the special election. Voting shall be by email. Election to the vacant office shall be by a majority of the members voting.
Sec 4. Officers may be removed by a three-fourths vote of the membership.
DUTIES OF OFFICERS: Article III
Sec 1. The President shall preside at all meetings and conduct them according to the rules adopted. The President shall enforce due observance of this Constitution, decide all questions of order, sign all official documents adopted by the club, and perform all other duties pertaining to the office.
Sec 2. The Vice president shall assume the duties of President in this person’s absence. The VP will do other such duties as determined by the President.
Sec 3. The Secretary shall process membership applications and update the eligibility list for the ARRL club competition. This person will also be required to maintain club affiliation with ARRL and conduct all correspondence, concerning the club.
Sec 4. The Treasurer shall perform such duties as assigned by the President or Vice President of the club.
MEETINGS: Article IV
The By-Laws shall provide for regular and special meetings. (either in-person or online) A majority of the members present at such meetings shall constitute a quorum for any and all transactions of business. In addition, regular and special meetings may be called by the President of the SECC at their discretion or when requested by any member in good standing. A simple majority of those members voting for a special meeting by a member shall be sufficient for any officer of the club to direct that such a meeting be held. Voting on any proposal may be via email.
MEMBERSHIP ASSISTANCE: Article V
The club will provide technical advice and assistance to members concerning station construction, improvements, and operating practices.
AMENDMENTS: Article VI
This Constitution or By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the active members who submit votes. An active member is considered someone who has summitted a contest score for the SECC in either an ARRL or CQ sponsored contest in the past 3 years. Proposals for the amendments may be submitted via email. A statement that the posting is intended to amend the Constitution and/or By-Laws should be sent by email. If an amendment is submitted via a posting on the SECC mailing list, an officer of the club shall announce the results of those members voting within 7 days following the date of the reflector posting.
AMENDMENTS: Article VII
In order to provide for the maximum participation by members of the South East Contest Club, any officer or active member of the club shall be permitted to request that the geographical coordinates representing the center of the ARRL 175 mile circle be temporarily moved to a different location. Approval of such a move shall be by a majority of the active membership voting by email to the Vice President of the club. Nothing in this Article VII shall be construed as a constraint against such a move being designated as permanent. A temporary move shall exist for a period of 6 days and must include ARRL or CQ contest dates in their entirety.
1. President: It shall be the duty of the President to keep the Constitution and By-Laws of the Club and provide them to any member upon request. The President will oversee all amendments, changes, and additions to the Constitution and By-Laws. If the President of the SECC does not post a proposed amendment with 2 days of such approval of the proposed amendment by the general membership, the Vice President shall assume the duty of posting the amendment.
2. Membership: South East Contest Club membership is open to licensed amateurs located inside the CQ club circle of 250 miles. Membership includes all club privileges as well as rights to hold club office and to vote for club officers. Applications for membership may be submitted at anytime via the form on the SECC webpage.
3. Meetings: Meetings shall be held on dates determined by the President. The meetings may not be conducted during an ARRL, CQ, NCJ or Sprint contest weekend. A poll must be taken from the membership, by the President, as to the date, time and place before scheduling a meeting in order to provide the best meeting date. Special meetings may be called by any officer of the SECC upon the request of any club member, if such member is supported by a minimum of 4 other members. Notification will be sent to members concerning special meetings to arrive at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting and the business to be transacted.
4. Dues: No regular monthly dues will be assessed. The President will make the membership aware of any expenses incurred by the club and will solicit donations for said expenses. Any donations made by members are voluntary and non-refundable.
5. Contest Participation: In order to remain as members in good standing, members must submit one contest score for an ARRL or CQ sponsored contest within the past 3 years to the appropriate sponsor with the South East Contest Club designated as the official club.
Last revision: December 17, 2021